Student Spotlight: Krunal Shukla

Published: September 30th, 2019

Krunal ShuklaHello everyone! My name is Krunal Shukla, and I am a 4th-year Health Science student on the pre-medical track. I was born in India but grew up in a small town in North Florida called Live Oak. Since high school, I have been interested in studying the human body and knew that I wanted to pursue a career in healthcare. However, my decision to pursue medicine, in particular, solidified after taking various interesting courses, volunteering in different organizations, and shadowing health professionals at the University of Florida.

Krunal Playing TennisSince middle school, I have been an avid tennis player. For all four years, I played on my high school’s varsity tennis team. Along with playing, I also assisted my coach in teaching tennis to elementary and middle school students. When I came to UF, I joined Aces in Motion that allowed me to continue my passion for both coaching tennis and serving the underserved youth in Alachua County. Aces in Motion and my previous experiences made me realize that I enjoy working with the adolescent and young adult populations.

Krunal with Streetlight MembersMy decision to pursue medicine solidified when I joined a palliative teen care program within Shands called Streetlight. In this program, I have gotten the opportunity to interact with adolescent and young adult patient populations and learn about their experiences with chronic illnesses, such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell, and cancer. Seeing the same patients over time, I have also been able to build long-term relationships with them. Through this program, I have met some fantastic people who genuinely exhibit the program’s motto of “we get to carry each other.” Streetlight has inspired me to pursue pediatric oncology as a future physician and continue to work with adolescent and young adult patients with chronic illnesses.

Through pursuing research in a neuroscience lab, I realized the importance of scientific inquiry in healthcare. In my future career, I plan to collaborate with researchers to translate treatments from a laboratory to a clinical setting. After taking BHS courses such as Public Health Concept and the US Healthcare System, I realized that there is also a need to make healthcare services more accessible for specific marginalized populations. Along with treating my patients as a future physician, I also plan to participate in healthcare policy making and research.

Krunal selfie in front of water During my free time, I enjoy playing tennis and hanging out with friends. I am also the kind of person who would aimlessly watch YouTube videos for hours. I also enjoy traveling to new places. In the near future, I want to explore various countries in Europe, such as Spain and France. I am also a food enthusiast and love to explore different types of food.

The Bachelor of Health Science program has played a significant role in helping me grow and become the person that I am right now. All the BHS program professors truly care about the students and take the initiative to get to know them. Due to small class sizes within the program, I have also been able to make some amazing friends. If you have any questions about this program, feel free to reach out to me any time at krunal1998@ufl.edu!