Student Spotlight: Gio Mompremier

Published: July 9th, 2019

Gio MompremierHello Everyone! My name is Giovanna Mompremier, and I am a 3rd year Health Science major with a minor in Public Health. I am a first-generation student from a small town in South Florida called Vero Beach. I will be entering my final year here, and plan on later matriculating to Medical School. The decision to join the College of Public Health & Health Professions was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.

Gio MompremierGrowing up my dream was always to work in the medical field, and one day my dad said go big or go home. That simple statement pushed me to go all the way and take the stride of choosing the path on becoming a doctor. Since I first took a step onto the University of Florida’s campus, I wanted to immerse myself in giving back to the community. I intended to participate in organizations that focused on giving back to proportionally disadvantaged and undeserved communities. I also wanted to gain leadership skills that could better my character and shape me to become a much better physician. Organizations that I have been able to participate in here during my time at UF include, the Black Student Union, Multicultural Association of Pre-Health Students, Emerging Leaders Program of Dance Marathon, and Gainesville Doctors Without Borders.

Gio MompremierWhen I first arrived at the University of Florida, I became a volunteer at Shands Hospital in areas such as Radiology, G/I Oncology, and Medical Oncology. I loved learning about all the different areas of the medical, and all the UF had to offer for me to be able to be exposed. I also became greatly involved in my Black Student Union on campus. I’ve participated in this organization my entire time here at UF and have become more and more involved. I started as an LDIer of the Leadership Development Institute, later becoming an Assistant Treasurer, and finally becoming an officer, Treasurer, for this large organization. I also tried my best to be involved in service, which an organization called Hope Meals gave me that chance to donate to the homeless population of Gainesville. I was also able to matriculate into the position of Secretary and participated in regular feeding of the homeless with countless UF organizations.

Gio MompremierI am grateful to have been given many opportunities to explore different realms of the health care field, as well as donate my time to less fortunate populations. An experience that I will never forget will be my experience to travel to Peru on a medical mission trip. I traveled with Gainesville Doctors Without Borders and participated in a week long clinical rotation in different undeserved communities around Peru. I was able to meet many different health care professionals, students with the same passion for helping others, and many unique citizens of Peru. I learned a lot about the culture there, as well as was inspired to keep working hard to get to my goal helping those that are less fortunate.

Gio MompremierOutside of studying for classes, I aid in research at the McKnight Brain Institute learning about traumatic brain injuries and coming up with ways to determine biomarkers of trauma. I love working in the lab, as well as being able to use the technology such as ELISA, Western Blots, and logging data. I am a Health Professions College Council Ambassador and will be able to tell students why I love my college, and especially the Bachelor of Health Science Program. Since being in this program, I have definitely felt a change in my purpose here at UF. I will also be serving as a PAACT Peer Leader for incoming students coming Fall 2019 and serving a mentor for students to find their path here at UF.

Gio MompremierDuring my free time, I like to enjoy watching different shows on Netflix and Hulu, such as Greys Anatomy, Being Mary Jane, and All American. I am also passionate about photography, and love taking pictures and videos. Whenever I get the chance, I like to weight train at the gym with friends and set new personal records. I love spending time with others whether that’s seeing the sunrise on a Saturday morning, enjoying fellowship and bible study, having a game night, or going home on weekends to spend time with family.

I am very excited to see what else the University of Florida has in store for me. If you have any questions about any of the organizations I am in, or the Bachelor of Health Science program, please feel free to contact me. My email is: gmompremier@ufl.edu and Go Gators!!!