Student Spotlight: Lucía Cabanela

Published: April 9th, 2019

LuciaHi there! My name is Lucía Cabanela and I am a junior studying Health Science with a Public Health minor on the pre-PA track. I was actually born in Argentina but have been living in South Florida since I was 7 years old. I am also the first in my family to receive a college education in the United States! After graduating from the BHS program, I hope to attend Nova Southeastern University for PA school. I am choosing a physician assistant as my career path because it’s the perfect profession to let me balance my work life and my personal life. Family is the most important thing to me, so being able to go into a profession that gives me flexibility to also spend with Lucia and Mommy loved ones is essential! In addition, it’s a career that gives you the opportunity to switch fields specialties without needing additional schooling. This aspect of the profession Lucia and Dadwas especially attractive to me because it gives me the ability to explore various disciplines of medicine and learn from each one. The capability of switching specialties is especially important to me because it gives me the chance to become the most holistic healthcare provider I can be! As of now, I’m really interested in working in either Emergency Medicine or OB-GYN. I’ve shadowed PAs in the emergency room and I absolutely love the rush of it and the amount of crazy stuff you get to see every day—it definitely keeps you on your toes! I’ve also shadowed providers in cardiology and dermatology. I’m hoping to shadow a PA in OB-GYN in the near future to get a little more exposure in that discipline.

Lucia and familyAside from academics, I am involved in the Alpha Epsilon Delta Honor Society here at UF, which is a pre-health organization that volunteers for the general community as well as the underrepresented populations in Gainesville. I have been involved in the Pre-Physician Assistant Association (PPAA) at UF since my sophomore year. I highly recommend this organization if you are interested (or even considering) PA because there are guest speakers in the PA profession at every meeting from all types of specialties!

Lucia Outside of UF, I love coming home to see my mom and spending time with her (I’m a big-time momma’s girl). I also love traveling and getting to see new places and people. I love almost all types of music, but particularly EDM, Latin trap, rock and jazz. I am working on learning Italian and hope to one day be completely fluent. A couple of other random fun facts about me are that I can dislocate my right hip out of place voluntarily and that I hold a double- dutch record!

Lucia If you have any questions about health science, PA or anything at all, feel free to reach out to me at lcabanela@ufl.edu! Being part of the college of Public Health and Health Professions was the best decision I’ve made at UF!