Student Spotlight: Laury Anne Jean-Paul

Published: February 14th, 2019

Laury Ann HeadshotHello Everyone! My name is Laury Anne Elizabeth Jean-Paul (a mouthful) and I am a senior studying Health Science on the Pre-Med track with a minor in Public Health. I am a first generation American and college student from West Palm Beach, Florida.

Even as a child, it has always been my desire to serve my community, specifically those who have been systematically disadvantaged throughout history. The first organization that I joined upon my matriculation at the great University of Florida was Igniting Dreams Inc.  I had the pleasure of serving as a mentor for at-risk high school students in my hometown and lending them a helping hand on their path towards college admittance. During my sophomore year of college, I went on to serve as the Community Outreach Coordinator for Love, Period—an organization Laury Anne Jean-Paulfocused on funding education opportunities for young girls and women in African and South American countries. I also began my two-year work experience at the Disability Resource Center where I was granted the opportunity to serve as both a liaison and advocate for fellow Gators and their families. At the start of my junior year, I joined SISTUHS Inc. which is a community-service-based organization with the prime focus of uplifting black men and women. As members, we strive to know our history as Black Americans and fruitfully add to the Black experience in Laury Anne Jean-PaulAmerica. To add onto my belt, I served as a research assistant under HealthStreet’s C.A.M.E.O. program. HealthStreet is a public health initiative partnered with the College of Public Health and Health Professions. Its goal is to increase minority representation in research studies. As a research assistant, I participated in field research where I aided in the collection of data on diverse community members in the Gainesville community. Lastly, in the summer before my senior year, I served as a TA for Biochemistry where I was given the chance to lead students towards success in mastering the subject.

Laury Anne Jean-PaulCurrently, I serve as an HPCC Ambassador. I also serve as Praise Team Director and Eboard member for my church group, Adventist Campus Ministry. Lastly, I work as an elementary school tutor with America Reads where our goals are oriented towards ensuring that children are reading at their grade level.

When I am free of responsibilities, I enjoy napping or binge-watching Netflix or YouTube. I also enjoy spending quality time with family and friends. My goal is to take a gap year before entering Medical School and spend that time both traveling the world and feeding my passion for service. My ultimate goal is to become a primary care physician and promote preventative measures and public health initiatives in both the U.S. and, the country of my ethnic origin, Haiti.

If you are ready to go through a transformative experience that will grow you into a well-equipped health professional, please do not look any further than the College of Public Health and Health Professions. I am always available for questions and/or lunch. Email me at ljeanpaul@ufl.edu! I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little about me and as always, GOOOO GATORS!