Student Spotlight: Kristy Minno

Published: April 24th, 2018

Kristy MinnoHey Everyone! My name is Kristy Minno and I am currently a Junior in the Bachelor of Health Science program. I am from Tallahassee, Florida and since choosing UF, the most commonly asked question I hear is how I could possibly betray the Noles like that, BUT I’ve been a Gator since birth and come from a long line of Gator grads! I plan on going to PA school after graduation with hopes of working in pediatrics. Although I have always had a passion for working with children, my involvement with Dance Marathon (DM) at UF has really allowed me to tie in that passion with a desire to serve and an interest in the healthcare field.

Kristy MinnoDM at UF is proud to be the largest student run philanthropic organization in the southeast. This year, we raised over three million dollars for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) Hospitals, specifically designated for our very own children’s hospital here in Gainesville. The Dance Marathon event is an actual 26.2-hour marathon of dance where selected members from different student organizations stand for the entire event to raise awareness for pediatric illness. I got involved with DM my freshman year as a dancer for the event. My sophomore year I served as the delegate for my sorority to organize and motivate a whole team of dancers for the event. This year, I had the incredible privilege of serving as a Family Relations Captain. Family Relations Captains serve as the liaison between the DM community and their Miracle Families. Miracle Families are families who serve as ambassadors for CMN. They each have a child who has suffered fromKristy Minno pediatric illness and they share their story of how CMN shaped their journey. The families I have met through this opportunity have impacted me in more ways than I could ever explain. As a Family Relations Captain, it becomes our job to be a support system for these families on some of their hardest days, and to celebrate with them on some of their best days. I have been there for hospital stays to watch as families wrestle with news they never wanted to hear, together with witnessing the joy of a child receiving her last ever chemotherapy treatment! I have gained such a perspective for what the bigger picture looks like for a family experiencing childhood illness. My heart has developed a huge love for these families and a desire to serve them in their journeys.

In addition to Dance Marathon, I am very involved within the Catholic Student Center on campus. I am an ambassador for Catholic Gators as well as serving as a student leader for the Fellowship of Catholic University Students. My faith is very important to me and I spend a lot of time at the Catholic Center attending different events, helping with different ministries, and just hanging out.

RainbowI was also a summer staff member this past summer at Camp Covecrest in Georgia and will be returning this summer to serve as the Summer Staff Captain which means I will be leading and organizing the other counselors while also still leading my own groups of campers. I will be spending my weeks white water rafting, hiking, and hanging out by the lake while leading groups of campers through various activities and supporting and guiding my fellow summer staff members. I could not be more excited! I absolutely loved my time at camp last summer and am incredibly excited and honored to be going back this summer!

Finally, I am a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority and have served as Alumnae Relations Chair and as a member of the Standing Rules Committee. I also love to just hang out with my friends and frequent the sun terrace Chick-fil-a more often than I would like to admit. I also really enjoy all of my classes in the BHS program and am constantly engaged and interested in what we’re learning in class. I am excited that I still have over a year left in my undergrad career and I can’t wait to see what more opportunities arise in that time!