Student Spotlight: Daniela Suarez-Rivero

Published: September 26th, 2017

Hi everyone! My name is Daniela Suarez-Rivero. I’ve just started my junior year at UF and am in the Bachelor of Health Science program on the Pre-Physical Therapy (PT) track. I actually recently switched to Pre-PT track; I always thought I wanted to go to medical school. However, after volunteering in a PT clinic for my whole sophomore year, I discovered my passion. I found myself looking forward to interacting with patients and seeing them improve exponentially as the weeks progressed. I have been a PT patient before so I know how much a difference having a good, involved, and caring PT makes.

One of my major involvements on campus and within the college of Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP) is as the President of the Health Professions College Council (HPCC). HPCC’s purpose is to promote PHHP and get more people involved in the college and informing many people as possible about our college. Some of our HPCC ambassadors assisted Rob Doyle and Kendra Hamilton during the summer Preview sessions! Fall 2017 will be our first active semester as ambassadors for the college and we have many exciting things planned for this semester! Another organization I am involved in at UF is Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED), a pre-health honor society. I joined AED in Spring 2016 and have not looked back since. The organization volunteers throughout Alachua and surrounding counties. AED can be found at animal sanctuaries over the weekend and helping run community events like Halloweener Derby. I can easily say that these two organizations have defined my college career.

I’ve only just started my BHS course work but I am already thoroughly enjoying it. The faculty and advisors are so approachable and truly eager to help us students succeed. I am not applying to PT schools until next summer but I know that with the help of the amazing PHHP faculty and advisors that I will be able to continue onto the next chapter of my education (hopefully at UF for a DPT degree!) In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, traveling (when I am able), watching movies, and exercising! My friends and family have been so incredibly supportive of me throughout my college career and it goes without saying that I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. If anyone has any sort of questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out and ask me!