Student Spotlight: Brittany Schloss

Published: April 24th, 2017

Hi!  My name is Brittany Schloss, and I am currently a Junior in the Bachelor of Health Science Pre-Occupational Therapy program. While I have always been interested in a career in the health field, I had a very limited understanding of the Occupational Therapy career when I started my first year at the University of Florida.

Having an interest in health, nutrition, and fitness, I strive to maintain a holistic lifestyle. Taking part in running, weight training, and cross fit, I have seen firsthand transformations in the body, that I did not think to be possible. As a student at the University of Florida, I became intrigued to educate myself in the physiology of the body, nutrition, and psychology. Through my work as a fitness associate and my volunteer work with children as a camp counselor, I also found satisfaction in helping and empowering others to discover their strengths and confidence in themselves to succeed. Therefore, it became my desire to pursue a career in which I could make an impact on each individual I worked with, regardless if it was big or small.  It became obvious to me that a career in Occupational Therapy offers many diverse opportunities in which I can incorporate my interests in health, nutrition, fitness, and psychology while helping individuals achieve their highest potential, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

My interest in Occupational Therapy has been enhanced through my volunteer work with Inclusive Fitness and Unified Sports (IFUS) Program over the past three years, where I served as a “Workout Buddy”, Physical Fitness Committee Member, and Research Assistant. Through this program, I have the opportunity to assist, teach, and encourage students with intellectual disabilities (ID) from the Sidney Lanier School in Gainesville as they participate in fitness and sport activities.  I also research ways in which this fitness intervention program increases the quality of life of students with intellectual disabilities and volunteers.

Working with students with ID, I was able to see firsthand the positive affect that I contributed in improving their physical and mental well-being. This strengthened my resolve that I wanted to be part of a career that incorporates my interest in health with my drive to provide individuals the opportunity to achieve their highest potential. Every minute I spent working with these students further confirmed that Occupational Therapy is the career choice for me.

To reach my career goal, it is my hope to continue the pre-professional OT track and obtain a Bachelor of Health Science Degree from the University of Florida. Thereafter, it is my goal to obtain a Masters or Doctorate in Occupational Therapy. I am so thankful for my experience at UF and the opportunities that the College of Public Health and Health Professions has provided to further my future career goals.

In my free time, I enjoy running and working out. I ran my first Half Marathon this past semester and am looking forward to completing another one next year. I love spending time with friends and family, relaxing at the beach, watching Netflix, and of course supporting the Gators at athletic games! As always, go Gators!