Student Spotlight: Carter Gay

Published: March 27th, 2017

Hello, everyone! My name is Carter Gay, and I am currently a third-year student on the General Health Science Track. My ultimate plan is to attend medical school, but I haven’t decided what I want to focus on or specialize in. When I first arrived at the University of Florida, I felt a little overwhelmed by all the different career paths and majors to choose from. I knew that I wanted to go somewhere in the medical field, but I had no idea how to achieve that or what steps to take. Thankfully, I was accepted into the College of Public Health and Health Professions, where I have made many wonderful connections and have been put on the right track to develop as a student and as an individual.

I have several different areas that I am interested in pursuing within the medical field, and I am exploring those through various organizations and service areas. For the past two years, I have had great experiences volunteering in the Orthopedic Recovery Unit and shadowing a cardiovascular surgeon at North Florida Regional Medical Center. This semester, to get a more complete aspect of the recovery process, I began volunteering with Shands in the SHCC Physical Therapy Clinic. Another passion of mine has been pediatric illnesses, which is the topic of research I am currently working on. The team that I am a part of specifically looks at diseases that are less well-known than most (e.g. Friedreich’s Ataxia, Pompe Disease and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy). It has been an incredible experience for me, so far, and I have been able to study and work in various veterinary, clinical, laboratory and statistical settings. Additionally, I have made many new friends and spend a great deal of time in volunteer work as a volunteer coordinator for the Gator Alliance for World Health (GAWH) and as a mentor and member of L.E.A.P.

In my free time, I often enjoy playing intramural softball, frisbee, and volleyball. I am a huge sports fan, especially of the teams at UF, so I have a great time watching football, baseball, basketball and other events. Despite several injuries and setbacks, I still love running and have completed several half marathons as well as a full marathon. Music is also a big passion of mine, not only because I love listening to it but also because I enjoy teaching myself how to play new instruments. Like most college students, I am an avid coffee drinker and foodie, so I love exploring Gainesville and trying new things wherever I go. Recently, I adopted a mutt puppy named Watson who has been an absolute joy. Ultimately, my friends, family and church are central aspects of my life. They have shown me so much guidance, love and support, which I have needed.

I love the University of Florida and all the experiences and opportunities it has brought me. Go Gators!