Menu UF Health Home Menu

Student Spotlight: Angela Sexton

Published: March 14th, 2017

Hello! My name is Angela Sexton and I am currently a fourth-year Health Science Major on the Pre-Occupational Therapy track at the University of Florida (UF).

When I first came to UF as a freshman, I was exploratory with an interest in everything. Eventually, I narrowed my focus between teaching and occupational therapy (OT). I chose OT because I enjoy the teaching aspect of the field and wanted to be a piece in a patient’s journey to functioning independently. After shadowing and volunteering with OT related organizations, I feel that OT is the field for me because of the relationships you are able to form with your patient. In the future, I plan to work as a pediatric OT because I want to be involved with my patient’s life.

During my journey through UF, I applied and was accepted to the Bachelor of Health Science honors program. Through the honors program, I was able to learn about research opportunities and am currently a research assistant in the Comprehensive Support for Students with Learning Disability (CS3LD) lab. This lab is a multi-level research project dedicated to creating a model of support for students with learning disabilities in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) major. For my honors thesis, I am writing about mentorship for students with learning disabilities. In addition to working on my thesis, I have been able to present a poster at the Florida Occupational Therapy Association conference and am planning to present at the American Occupational Therapy Association conference in Philadelphia.

During my time at UF, I have had the privilege of being able to participate in hands-on organizations. I am an active member in the Student Occupational Therapy Association (SOTA) and am a returning mentor in Lead. Educate. Advocate. Philanthropy (L.E.A.P.). I enjoy working with both of these organizations because they are amazing avenues to learn about opportunities to get involved within the community. Through SOTA, I learned about an organization called Hands to Love. Last year, I was able to volunteer at a camp for children with upper limb differences and learn about adaptive techniques.

In my free time, I can usually be found running at the stadium, enjoying local Gainesville eateries, salsa dancing and binging on Netflix shows.

Go Gators!