Student Spotlight: Alyse Levine

Published: January 30th, 2017

Hi, my name is Alyse Levine, and I am senior on the General Health Science track with a minor is Disability Studies. After graduating this spring, I plan to pursue a Master’s degree in Healthcare Administration. In the future, I hope to work in a non-profit organization. When I first came to the University of Florida, I aspired to be an occupational therapist because I wanted to help individuals with disabilities. However, during my freshman fall, I took the course Intro to Health Professions. In this course, different speakers from the health care field visited each week to talk to our class about their jobs. When a hospital administrator spoke with us, I immediately felt drawn to his profession and afterwards researched more about the field. I love that the job is extremely versatile, which allows professionals to have a long and varied career. I am particularly interested in working within the non-profit sector due to my passion for giving back to my community.

I always knew that I wanted to enter a career that would positively impact the lives of others. My mom, a geriatric nurse, instilled in me a love for helping my community. From a young age, I would accompany her to her patients’ homes, forming relationships with her elderly clients. I developed a sense of compassion and continued to help the elderly in high school, when I volunteered at an assisted living center.

My interest in non-profit work began eight years ago when I joined the organization Best Buddies. Best Buddies pairs individuals with and without disabilities in one-on-one friendships. I served as president of my high school chapter and knew that I wanted to continue my involvement at UF. During my freshman year, I was paired with my buddy Kristin, who has become one of my best friends. While I originally hoped that I could help make a difference in her life, the lessons that I have learned and the impact that she has had on my life are far more than I could have ever imagined. For the past three years I have served as the membership coordinator, which involves making the matches between the buddy pairs. I love to see the incredible friendships that have formed and evolved over the years and am so proud to be a part of an organization that truly enriches the lives of all individuals involved.

This summer I had the opportunity to intern at DOROT, a non-profit organization in New York City, which aims to combat social isolation for the elderly by bridging inter-generational gaps. Throughout my internship, I was assigned to visit older individuals’ homes to assist them with their technology, deliver meals, or engage in conversation. I witnessed firsthand the effect that these visits had on the lives of elderly individuals, many of whom were home bound and isolated from others. My eight weeks with DOROT reinforced my desire to be a health administrator within a non-profit organization, as I gained valuable insight into the importance of this job.

In addition to these activities, I love traveling. The summer before my junior year, I studied abroad in Florence, Italy for ten weeks. During this time, I traveled extensively throughout Europe, where I enjoyed interacting with people from different backgrounds and cultures. Although I did not take courses that were directly applicable to health science, I did gain a deeper understanding of cultural differences, which I believe will be beneficial toward my future career.

When I am not at the HPNP building, I can probably be found at my sorority house. Throughout the past four years, I have been an active member of Alpha Epsilon Phi. During 2015, I served as the Vice-President of Operations for my chapter, which involved managing communications for over 200 members.

Although where I will attend graduate school in the fall still remains uncertain, I am so thankful for my experience at UF. The opportunities that this school has provided me, especially within the College of Public Health and Health Professions, are endless, and I cannot wait to use the lessons that I have learned as a foundation for my future career goals.