Student Spotlight: Maggie Holzworth

Published: January 3rd, 2017

Hi, my name is Maggie Holzworth and I am a senior in the Bachelor of Health Science program studying General Health Science. Although I was born and raised in San Jose, California I have always been a Gator at heart and coming to UF was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. After graduation, I am taking a gap year before going to medical school where I hope to fulfill my goal of becoming a Primary Care physician. Since I hope to attend medical school, choosing the Health Science program was a no-brainer because it has allowed me to explore the field in a more hands-on, applicable way than would have been possible as a traditional science major.

Since starting my journey at UF, I have had the opportunity to get involved in a wide variety of organizations and activities that have reaffirmed my desire to go into medicine time and time again. Volunteering has been a huge part of my time here and I have dedicated time at Shands, Baby Gator, the Alachua County Humane Society, Noah’s Endeavor, and a Physical Therapy clinic during my study abroad trip to the Dominican Republic. I plan to continue fulfilling this call to service throughout my career.

UF has also provided me with the chance to improve myself as a leader in many facets. Last year I served as a Pre-Health Diplomat assisting the Pre-Health advisors with giving advice about classes, hosting workshops, and so on. I have also been in Pre-Professional Service Organization (PSO) since my first semester at UF. In PSO, I transitioned from being a general member to becoming a Service Director and then Secretary and am now honored to be the President of, in my unbiased opinion, the best Pre-Health organization on campus. These opportunities have not only provided me with so many resources to make me a better leader and future doctor, but I have also formed lifelong relationships that have made my past three and a half years unforgettable.

Currently I spend a lot of time volunteering in a research lab in the Department of Nephrology under Dr. Michelle Gumz, where I have worked for the past 2 years. In lab I research many aspects of blood pressure regulation, especially in connection to the renal system and circadian rhythms. Working in Dr. Gumz’ lab has only further awakened my love for the sciences, but the most important lesson I will take away from the experience is to be persistent and resilient—even when things don’t work the first time, keep finding new ways to try again and don’t let your hope dwindle. Being in the lab has given me the opportunity to write a senior thesis in the Honors Program and I am continuing my research career through my gap year where I will work as a technician in the lab.

Outside of the classroom I enjoy spending time with friends, family, my cat and dog, binge-watching Netflix, and exploring the world whenever I can. I look forward to traveling to my dad’s current hometown of Beijing, China during the next year and many more adventures. All in all, none of this would have been possible without the never-ending love and support from my amazing parents who never ceased believing in me even when I stopped believing in myself. They have given up so much for me and I accredit any and all successes in my life to them. I am both anxious and excited about the future and can’t wait to see where life takes me next.