Student Spotlight: Sara Steinbaum

Published: December 16th, 2016

img_0831Hello! My name is Sara Steinbaum and I am a third-year student on the General Health Science Track planning to pursue a career in dentistry. Rewinding back to my Freshman year, I remember entering the University of Florida with goals of working toward a career in the health field, but was unsure of the specific direction I wanted to follow, and even started the year as an exploratory major. I then decided that the Health Science major fit my interests perfectly and would equip me with a diverse foundation in the understanding of health care delivery, current health disparities, and so much more.

My experiences at the University of Florida have shaped my career path by helping me further discover my own strengths and passions. Serving as a volunteer in the dental clinics at the College of Dentistry has given me first-hand exposure to the field of dentistry and the opportunity to observe and assist with dental procedures. Previously, I was investigating which area of medicine I wanted to pursue, but it was this volunteer experience that ultimately rerouted my intended career from medicine to dentistry. My time spent assisting with a research project focusing on tooth evolution in mammals has additionally contributed to my fascination with dental anatomy. My role involves coding different features of teeth for over 800 taxa that will eventually be plotted onto a comprehensive phylogenetic tree. Overall, my goal in life is to provide for others. I am beyond excited that I have sought out what truly makes me happy, and I cannot wait to one day dedicate myself to helping others maintain a healthy smile.

Getting involved around campus has helped me grow as both an individual and a leader, and has lead me to find my place at this university. Previously serving on my sorority’s executive board as Academics Chair gave me the opportunity to promote the importance of academics throughout my chapter, especially focusing on incoming freshman and the transition to college life. I have been able to give academic assistance by holding weekly office hours for Intro to Chemistry students through the Peer Mentor program. Currently, I am a mentor in the L.E.A.P. program and provide guidance and advice to my younger mentee that has similar aspirations. As a member of Pre-Professional Service Organization, I am able to learn about how to properly prepare myself for professional school while giving back by volunteering throughout our community. Aside from the dental clinics, I have volunteered through various service areas at Shands and was a Child Life volunteer. Each week I looked forward to spending one-on-one time with children in the Pediatric units.

During down time and study breaks, you can catch me rollerblading through Payne’s Prairie. I love being outdoors and cherish spending time with friends and family, relaxing at the beach, and enjoying Gator game days!