Student Spotlight: Briana Singh

Published: December 5th, 2016

leap-headshot Hi, my name is Briana Singh and I am currently a Junior in the Bachelors of Public Health program with a minor in Leadership.  With this degree, I hope to pursue a career in Health Administration whilst simultaneously seeking higher educational degrees. As a healthcare administrator, I expect to demonstrate effective leadership skills and work to reform various medical facilities, particularly in the integration of health care delivery systems, efficiency and quality of care, as well as the mistreatment and neglect of patients. Moreover, it is a significant desire of mine to work with undeserved populations to improve access to basic medical care.

To initiate, I came to the realization that I aspired to be a healthcare administrator through a combination of factors and experiences. First and foremost, my mother is an exceedingly hard-working nurse and as I observed the satisfaction and sense of pride she feels working in healthcare, she has inspired me to work towards a profession in the same field. Much of my profound experiences have arisen due to my multiple visits to the impoverished island of Haiti; it is here that I took note of sickly and malnourished children and adults with lack of food, clean water, and access to basic medical care. As I witnessed the disease stricken inhabitants of this island, I recognized that a career that allowed me to provide assistance to the aforementioned types of people would be incredibly fulfilling. Also, throughout my life, I have thoroughly enjoyed holding leadership positions in order to learn about myself whilst providing guidance to others, finding creative solutions to difficult issues, and continuously being exposed to individuals who offer unique perspectives.

Much of my involvement at the University of Florida has allowed me to develop not only as a student, but also as an individual. Currently, I am involved within the College of Public Health and Health Professions as a L.E.A.P mentor. This has allowed me to meet a wonderful peer who I have the opportunity to provide advice to in order to ensure success in all facets of their college experience. Furthermore, I am a volunteer ambassador for Be the Match Association, where we work to encourage people to become donors for bone marrow, which has the potential to assist those who suffer from leukemia and lymphoma. Presently, I have been published twice within the College of Health and Human Performance. The first publication is entitled “Patient perspectives on factors associated with enrollment and disease self-management programs: A systematic review” and was published in the Journal of Patient Intelligence. Subsequently, I worked as a contributing author on “Determining comparative effectiveness research priorities in care coordination for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD): A systematic community-based eDelphi study, published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research. Additionally, I am a sales associate at Henri Girl Boutique, where I have ascertained precisely how to balance school with work and learn about differing aspects of the workplace environment.

In my down time, I enjoy practicing meditation, reading, and spending as much time as I possibly can with my friends and family; I believe this is an important component to the human experience. Aside from involvement and future career plans, I am an adamant believer in the influence of optimism; I hope that as I proceed through life, I can encourage others to remain unyielding positive, even in the face of difficulties.