Student Spotlight: Nicholas Mudra

Published: November 1st, 2016

photo-dec-14-9-56-39-pm2015-10-11-16-14-44My name is Nicholas Mudra and I am a senior in the Bachelors Health Science program and minoring in Public Health. On November 2008, I was privileged to be hired full time as a Firefighter for Marion County Fire Rescue which changed my life. I was given the tasks of   protecting life and property, responsible for operations and maintenance of an array of heavy equipment and apparatuses, and provided medical care to citizens in need in a wide variety of training and teaching as part of my job skills.

img_4386 During my tenure with MCFR I completed paramedic school at Central Florida College and shortly after I was appointed as lead paramedic of rescue in which I worked hands on with a wide array of patients’ medical needs and loved it. I was a field preceptor for paramedic students and novice paramedics needing job clearance, and then in 2015, I received the honor of Paramedic of the Year award.

It was through this clinical experience that I figured out my passion, and desire to know more in the field of medicine and to further my education. My desire is to advance my education and knowledge further by attending PA program at UF and pursuing a career as a Physician Assistant.

img_4494With a heavy heart, on October 14, 2016 I made one of the most difficult choices in my life. I resigned from MCFR in order to permit further time for accomplishing my goal of becoming a PA. I’m honored and humbled to have been part of an organization that truly makes an impact on people’s everyday lives. I will never forget the valuable experiences I have gained during my tenure with MCFR and plan to apply them to my future.

This was a bitter sweet decision as the Health Science Program has already taught me a considerable amount in the short time since being enrolled. The curriculum has informed me about the critical aspects involved with disease and disability, health care knowledge, ethical/professional questions, and problems associated with the health care system. Each class has added another layer of information on the picture that is being painted in knowledge to provide excellent patient/provider care. I am CPR, ACLS and PALS certified, I am 30 years old and I am married to the love of my life. I have never been more excited for my future.