Student Spotlight: Summer Moon

Published: October 17th, 2016

moonMy name is Summer Moon and I am from Orange City, Florida. I am a fourth-year Health Science major on the general health sciences track and have minors in both Public Health and Health Disparities in Society. My career goal is to be a Physician Assistant.

When introduced to the PA profession early on in college, I realized it was the perfect fit for me; I can try various different specialties and get to experience all of the great fields that have interested me through school. My minor in Health Disparities in Society has made me interested in working in underserved communities, but the courses I have taken in college have made me interested in cardiology and orthopedics. When I entered as a freshman at the University of Florida, I had an idea that I wanted to go into some type of medicine, but my involvement at the university and in the surrounding community has solidified my choice.

While paving my track to PA school, I have been gaining patient contact hours by working as a PCA at Shands in the Central Staffing Office. In this job, I am sent to a different unit each day, leading to a plethora of impactful experiences and contact with various patient populations. I have been able to care for young babies, comfort patients who have just received treatment for cancer, congratulate new mothers on the arrival of their child, perform CPR on cardiac arrest patients, and everything in between. My job as a PCA has further solidified why I want to be a PA.

I am also an intern with the Well Florida Council’s HIP Program, where I participate in outreach events to educate the community on HIV/AIDS and recruit people to be tested for HIV. This internship has allowed me to learn so much about others and myself.

sm-moon-2Outside of internships, work and school, I serve on the executive board of various organizations and am involved in volunteering in the community. I am a mentor and the Director of Public Relations for the L.E.A.P. Mentorship Program in the College of Public Health and Health Professions, as well as am in the Volunteer Events Coordinator for the Pre-Physician Assistant Association. I have also enjoyed being in the service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha, where I participate in service projects that impact the Gainesville community, the University of Florida, and the nations of the world. In my free time, I enjoy hanging in my hammock, painting and doing crafts!

I have been supported so much by my family, made lasting friendships, been impacted by many great professors, and have learned so much about myself during my time at UF. As the daughter of a police officer, I have grown up watching my dad change the lives of others on a daily basis, and hope to continue his tradition of being impactful by being the greatest Physician Assistant I can be. Throughout my journey as an undergraduate student, the experiences and opportunities I have had at the University of Florida have helped me develop into a unique individual that will help carry me on to my goals.

“We are already among the best, and now we are determined to be the VERY best”