Student Spotlight: Seychelle Baker

Published: October 2nd, 2016

bakerHi, my name is Seychelle Baker and I am a senior in the General Health Science Track. If you asked me what I wanted to do when I first started out at UF, I certainly would not have told you that I plan on attending Physician’s Assistant School and pursuing a career as a PA in an emergency department or dermatology clinic. Throughout my first couple years as an undergraduate, my interest in the general biology courses, in addition to the advice of my mom, helped me decide that I wanted to pursue a career in health care. I would love to begin my PA career in an emergency department, but ultimately see myself in a dermatology clinic where I’d get to know regular patients and have a more regular schedule.

My mother, a pharmacist, always inspired me to do everything to the best of my ability in order to accomplish my goals. She impacts patients daily by counseling customers who can’t see a physician due to lack of healthcare, or explaining the effects and applications of certain medications. I have always respected my mother on an alternate level because I knew the incredible amount of work, effort, and time that it took her to become the health professional that she is today. I want to work in the field of health professions because I also want to have a positive impact on the lives of others.

My desire to pursue a career in health care was confirmed when I took physiology in the summer of 2015. I was riveted by the human body and all its intricate functions. Shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and his PA that summer also exposed me to a handful of clinical correlations that accompany physiological knowledge. Because of my deep interest in the human body’s form and function, I feel that health care is the perfect choice for me as I will get to work with the human body as a career.

I have also volunteered in the emergency department at UF Health Shands, where on my first day, I witnessed a trauma. While I stood back and observed the doctors, nurses, emergency responders, and other various medical professionals try to save the life of the patient, I did not feel nervous or uneasy, but rather so interested in what the doctors were doing that I kept moving around to try to get the best view of what was happening while still trying to stay out of the way.

baker-2This past spring, I obtained my emergency medical responder (EMR) certification as a means in which to gain clinical experience before applying to PA school. My experience volunteering in an ER allowed me to see the first responder skills (and many other skills) applied on a weekly basis. Now, I volunteer with a collegiate EMS group called GEMRU, where I volunteer as medical standby at various events such as football games and concerts.

Over the summer of 2016, I was lucky enough to be an undergraduate TA for Dr. Ahlgren’s Applied Human Anatomy course. This was my first experience in a teaching position as I led interactive activities in the anatomy lab, in addition to spending time in the study lab answering questions for students. I thoroughly enjoyed becoming proficient in the lab information, and can’t wait to take Dr. Shectman’s Musculoskeletal Anatomy in the spring.

baker-3Outside of health science I am very active in my Panhellenic chapter. I attend lunch and dinner at my chapter every day, and even live with some of my sorority sisters. I’ve gained a lot of valuable leadership experience from my Panhellenic Chapter, such as the opportunity to be a Panhellenic Counselor for the 2015 formal recruitment, and being on my chapter’s new member education team.

Some of my favorite things to do for fun include hiking the trails around Gainesville, trying the iced coffees at all of the local coffee shops, spending hours on Pinterest looking up recipes for baked goods and meals to cook on the weekends, and cheering on the Florida Gators in the Swamp every Saturday (of course).