Student Spotlight: Anthony Black

Published: May 31st, 2016

Anthony Black - Headshot“It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you aspire to be great at it.” This is the one lesson that my parents instilled in me while growing up and learning. Now after all these years of learning, I am currently a fourth-year Health Science Student on the Pre-Public Health Track looking to graduate and seek higher education in Public Health and in Health Education. I love what I’m doing now and learning from so many different individuals over the course of my college career has really shaped my experience here at the University of Florida. 

I currently serve as the Internal Programming Director for Hispanic Heritage Month 2016, have been a two-year Hospitality Captain for Dance Marathon at the University of Florida, and was a part of the Spring 2016 Tapping Class of Savant Leadership Honorary. I also recently became part of the loving community that is the Multicultural Greek Council, becoming a part of Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc. However, I love to dance as well and look forward to dancing with the Filipino Student Association yet again during the summer. I’m in Northern Ireland at the moment, studying abroad about how Arts can be integrated in the Healthcare setting, and how much of an influence it has on mental, spiritual, and physical well-being.

13296336_10156945262110023_2077615625_nPublic Health is one of my passions because it’s for the well-being of the community and those who live within it. It takes into account multiple perspectives and options, notices that there are differences among people, and shows those differences have to be met with compassion, understanding, and empathy. Moving forward, I want to work in Health Education, specifically towards making sexual health education more inclusive and intersectional among the multiple identities that make up a single individual.

My parents came from humble beginnings in Barranquilla, Colombia. Now, I want to make sure that I can make a difference for others like they were able to make a difference for my sister and I. I want to make sure that those within marginalized communities are able to have better access to care and education.