Student Spotlight: Lindsey North

Published: January 15th, 2016

IMG_6011Hi my name is Lindsey North and I am a junior in the Bachelor of Health Science program on the General Health Science track. As a pre-med student, I was interested in the BHS program because it allows me to learn about the different aspects of patient care that I would not have been exposed to if I were a traditional pre-med science major. I am currently studying for the MCAT and plan on applying to medical schools within the next year.

Since coming to the University of Florida as a freshman, I have had the opportunity to get involved in many of the clubs and organizations that the university has to offer. I was a member of Dream Team, a student-run club that volunteers in the pediatric cardiology unit at Shands Hospital, my freshman and sophomore years. As a member of Dream Team, I had the opportunity to work one-on-one with kids in the pediatric CICU, as well as participate in group bingo games and movie nights on the general pediatrics floor. Working with Dream Team was extremely rewarding and inspired me to become interested in a pediatric specialty after medical school.

In addition, I am also a member of the Health Science Student Organization and Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Both organizations have allowed me to give back to the Gainesville community and engage with a wide variety of people on campus. I have learned so much from all of the people that I have met through HSSO and Alpha Chi and formed lasting friendships.

Early in my sophomore year I got involved in research with the Cohn Lab, an evolutionary developmental biology lab on campus. Working in the Cohn Lab, I have been given the opportunity to research environmental endocrine disruption and 2D:4D digit ratio formation, as well as learn about many of the other interesting topics being explored in the lab. My work in the Cohn Lab has afforded me many opportunities including a poster presentation at the Florida Genetics Symposium and the ability to write a senior thesis. Working in the Cohn Lab has had a huge influence on my future career goals, inspiring me to pursue a possible career in academic research medicine. I have learned to enjoy and appreciate the research process more than I thought I ever would.

Outside of the classroom I enjoy playing softball, kayaking, and exploring all Gainesville has to offer. From downtown arts festivals to Lake Wauberg to the live music scene, I have truly enjoyed living in Gainesville these past three years. I am extremely grateful for all the opportunities I have been given as a University of Florida Health Science student and can’t wait for what the future holds!